The Ten Beauty Products I Always Repurchase | Ashley Riley

September 25, 2015

The Ten Beauty Products I Always Repurchase


The products you repurchase time and time again are often also the products you use on a daily basis.  They are your trusted go-to's, tried and true, and ride or die guarantees.  You can put them on your face blindfolded and even count them in your budget so you never have to go without.  Of course, we end up trying and liking new things, but we always go back to at least ten very special products.




Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz
This brow pencil has literally changed my life.  Like many women I have had a lifelong struggle with my eyebrows.  In middle school and high school I over-plucked them and have struggled over the years to keep them tidy and natural looking.  After trying multiple different eyebrow pencils and fillers, I have finally found my Holy Grail and will never return to anything else.  This retractable pencil has an ultrafine creamy formula that allows product to glide over your brows, creating a natural look that mimicks real brow hair, shapes the brow, and fills in sparseness.  The spooley on the end is excellent at combing thru hairs and helping to create that natural eyebrow look that everyone wants.

Urban Decay has three different types of makeup setting spray, and I found that the de-slick works best for my sometimes oily to combination skin.  After completing my makeup every morning I spritz some of this all over my face to help create a finished, smooth and non-oily look.  The mist is micro-fine and never sticky or drying.  If I have to leave my makeup on after my eight hour workday and want to freshen up, I simply tap my face with some powder and then set it again with the spray.  It leaves your face with the feeling that you have just put your makeup on again.

Before the Beauty Blender I honestly felt as if I was living in a deep, dismal cave of applying foundation with brushes that always left imperfections.  This sponge blends flawlessly for applying not only creams like foundations and concealers, but also dry products like finishing powders.  

Before the last time I repurchased this brow gel I had used up my current one to the point where the gel was brown and funny smelling in the bottom of the container.  This was after eight months of use and is representative of how much I covet this product.  I have tried other brow gels in the past, both low and medium end in terms of affordability, but this one most definitely wins a blue ribbon in my book.  It holds brow hairs in place all day without feeling sticky or crunchy, and allows for complete separation of the hairs to create a very natural finished brow.

How I would love to wear big, beautiful feathery false lashes every day, but unfortunately this would look inappropriate for my specific workplace.  These quarter-length lashes are the perfect substitution.  They apply to the outer corner of your eyelid and provide the perfect amount of length and thickness to your natural lash without being overdone.  I receive constant compliments on my lashes when I wear these and I am always asked if they are my natural lashes.  Of course, I always say no, but it is a good thing that people struggle to tell the difference.  At $1.99 per pair I often purchase 10-20 sets at a time.

I struggled for a long time to find a workable foundation for my oily to combination skin.  Every low-end primer I would try always left my hands feeling greasy and my face feeling (and looking) oily.  After trying several high-end primers I finally found my perfect match in Smashbox's Light version of their Photo Finish Primer.  It moisturizes my skin but leaves it completely clean and fresh, and I never have to blot or powder my skin during the day.  It lessens the appearance of my pores and fine lines and is the perfect primer to every one of my foundations.  I have ran out of this and purchased a cheaper product in its place, but quickly went back to my favorite.

This mascara has become my saving grace.  Not only do my lashes look and feel visibly more curled while wearing this mascara, but my short, stubbly lashes have become noticeably healthier.  I can apply 2-3 coats of the product without it becoming clumpy or dry.  The curl lasts on my lashes all day and the only complaint I have about this mascara is that while it is most definitely lengthening it is not necessarily volumizing.  It seems like no mascara can provide both volumizing and lengthening without becoming clumpy, and the best mascaras are usually good at one or the other only.  One side of the wand has short bristles while the other side has longer bristles.  I usually start with the shorter side to coat my lashes and then use a rolling technique to lengthen the rest of my lashes.  The shorter side is also great for coating bottom lashes, although I do often have to use a Q-tip to wipe off small amounts of excess from my under eyes.  I hope that one day Benefit comes out with a mascara wand using the same short bristles for bottom lashes only.

I have struggled for as long as I can remember to grow long, strong and healthy natural nails.  It always seemed like no matter how much I filed and care for my nails, they would always break before reaching a certain point.  Then someone suggested trying one of Sally Hansen's nail strengthening products.  Being part of the younger generation I think we always hesitate to try products that have been around for a long time, associating them with older generations and instead opting for the new and unique.  However, the fact that a product has been around for decades is a sign that is has been tested, tried and found to be true by generations of women, and that alone is reason enough to give it a try.  This products as made a significant difference in my nail health and allows it to grow faster and stronger.

During high school I started to develop heavy and dark under eye circles.  Since this point I have tried endless creams to lessen the puffiness and limitless types of concealers to hide the darkness beneath makeup. Both low end and high end concealers never seemed to do the trick, always creasing or sliding down by the end of the day no matter how well I set it.  When I came upon the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer it was as if the heavens had opened up and shown me the light.  My dark under eye circles are completely covered without any cakeyness or creasing to follow, just a continuously smooth, soft and even coverage.  I have recently added just a small touch of Kat Von D's Lock-It Concealer to my daily routine with the NARS concealer and "bake" to set with a few different types of powders.

As explained in the paragraph above, I have had a decade-long struggle with significant dark under eye circles and puffiness.  After having found the perfect concealer I needed to find the perfect powder to set it.  ELF's under eye setting powder is velvet smooth and fills in any creasing beneath the eyes to give you a smooth, even surface.  I normally use this on an every day basis to "bake"my concealer which, when brushed off, leaved you with flawless makeup that lasts all day.

Let Me Know!

What are the beauty and makeup products that you always repurchase?  Do you usually stick with several staple items on an everyday basis? 

2 comments:

  1. The Radiant Creamy Concealer has been the only one I've been using for the past two years - for the exact same reason you wrote: dark (super dark!!) under eye circles. I've never tried any of the other products, but I wanna try Urban Decay's De-Slick Oil-Control Spray, :)

    - xx // <a href='http://wordsatdawn.com>words at dawn</a>

    ReplyDelete